The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-05, 12:55 PM
Fmr. Resident Asshole

Aequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep PointsAequitas58 has between 1000 and 1499 Rep Points
Lightbulb Addn'l Idea for Heads Up Tourney

Would anyone be interested in doing a calcutta?

Basically once the entries are in, the players make bets on the players who will win / get the furthest. For each player, there is betting (kind of like an auction), and the player who has the highest bid wins that player.

Let me explain, because I know some of you get this and some of you do not.

Once all the players are registered, and we have a complete field, the players can bet on other players. This process of additional betting is called a calcutta. Kind of works like horsebetting - only the horse you're betting on is a player in the tournament.

Example.
I am up for bid on the calcutta block. Chip bets $1. Shabi bets $2. TP bets $3. Betting stops.
Now, TP is the high bidder w/ $3. He has to give me the option to buy half of myself. I accept. I owe TP $1.50. Do that style betting for EACH person. Collect all the money. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that the calcutta money totals $65. If I win the tournament, not only do I win the tournament prizes (whatever they are), but I win half the calcutta money. Tp wins the other half.

Some general rules:
-You can bet on yourself.
-The high bidder must give the "horse" a chance to buy half of himself.
-Bets for each person start off at $1.
-All the money is collected BEFORE the tournament starts. If you do not get all of your calcutta money in BEFORE the tourney starts, then your calcutta bets are null and void. (BUT YOU CAN STILL PLAY IN THE TOURNAMENT.)
-Ironing out of this idea will produce more rules.

Concerns:
-This is a lot of money management. It's great fun, but it MIGHT be difficult to do this.

Thoughts?