The TalkingPoker.com Forum  

Go Back   The TalkingPoker.com Forum > All Things Poker > General Poker Discussion
Register Blogs Arcade HH Converter Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-08, 04:55 PM
Tin Foil Hat Club Member

Nikita has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsNikita has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsNikita has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsNikita has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsNikita has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsNikita has between 750 and 999 Rep PointsNikita has between 750 and 999 Rep Points
Default 1k

So for my 1000th post, I figured I would post the history of how I came to Talking Poker.

I so did not use to be a gambler. Robbie Robb started playing poker before I did. We would watch it on TV and he first signed up through Ultimate Bet after seeing a commercial online. He deposited and looked like he was having fun.

So finally, in mid 2005 right around when I was going on Vacation which would take me into my mat leave, I created a UB account and started with play chips. I think the only reason I signed up, is I knew until Alex was born, I'd be a little bored around the house so I thought it would something I could see if it would occupy my time.

I fell in love with the game. It was a mind game, a strategy game, a thinking game. I could tell right away, you had to be smart to be successful at the game and be a winner. But I was a chicken. I didn't want to risk money right away. Rob did transfer a dollar here and a dollar there to me so I could play the penny tables, but I would typically lose it. I definitely had no concept of bankroll management.

A short time later, both Rob and I found Pokerstars and created accounts there. Rob was willing to deposit, I stayed with play chips. But at Stars, I noticed the private tournies and found a few that were for freerolls. One was for a TalkingPoker freeroll, so I decided to find out more.

There was havok on the site from freeroll chasers, but as I weeded through that to the real posts, I could tell I had a lot to learn about poker. From what I read, I realized, I wanted to be a better player and I wanted to try and risk money. I signed up.

I've been here since Nov 2005. Learning, reading, improving, developing. I've absorbed so much and come so far. When I first started poker, I was one of those min bettors. Min bet, never raise donkey. A little loose preflop and call station post flop.

I've gone from play chips, to penny tables and have survived as high as $50NL. I've gone from barely making it deep in tournaments to consistently finding my way to the money, several final tables and even winning two. I don't think any of this would have been possible if I had not found this forum. I would likely have either gotten bored with poker and quit or still be playing with play chips.

I've learned to not play with scared money and not worry on the losses. I've gone from tilting over every bad beat to keeping a cool demeanor and shrugging it off. I've developed as a person and met and become friends with some great people.

Thanks for creating this site TP. I've enjoyed my time here and plan on returning for years to come.