View Single Post
Old 03-28-08, 12:27 AM
Adminimus Maximus

Talking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points

Somehow I missed all the posts in this thread since my last one...

Anyhoo... to answer Zy's question: When I had that huge bonus to clear in January (almost $1000) and was out of town for half the month, I found that HU SNGs were the easiest way to generate rake. Each $210 SNG is 70 points, and I'll guess I average 8 per hour (12 or so playing turbos), playing two at a time. The month went well for me, so I decided to do it again in February. I experimented with turbos and failed miserably (only played 150 of them, but didn't even win half) and I experimented with HU cash this month. HU cash tilts me like no other. Maybe I'm just not as good at it. I don't know what it is, but there is something I really like about the structured SNG style HU matches - they have a beginning, a middle, and an end, giving you time to figure out how to beat your opponent, blah blah blah. Oh, and no one can hit and run you. When it's over, it's over.

With Storm's hypothetical 8% ROI, which I think is very reasonable for non-turbos (JD's 22% is ridiculous), that's $17ish per $210 SNG or $135 per hour, two tabling.

I know some people in this thread sneeze at making $400 per hour, but I for one think making $135 an hour is pretty sweet, considering the short term "risk" (yes, I realize poker is a long term game, but it's a mental thinkg) which SEEMS to be much less than in cash games, but I could be way off base on that. I'm not really sure how $200 NL and $210 SNGs correlate, for example.

Oh, and that's not counting RB, which can be significant. I think I cleared $1300 last month in RB alone.

While making *7* figures per year from poker sounds great and all, I don't think I could ever (or would want to) play at that level. I'm not good enough, and not nearly dedicated enough. But I can handle pocketing $5k per month pretty "easily" (in theory). At $17 per match, play just 300 per month and you're at $5k. Play 30 per day 25 days per month (not me, but very doable for you guys who play a lot of hands), and you're looking at a $13k month.

And that's at the $200 level. Earn that same 8% ROI at $500s, and you're looking at over $30k months. I personally think that is unrealistic mostly because of the amount of action you are (not) going to get when you are dominating $500 HU SNGs, but certainly half of that should be reasonable.

Got RakeBack?
27% at Full Tilt | 33% at Cake Poker | 30% at Carbon Poker