View Single Post
Old 01-16-09, 03:47 PM
Adminimus Maximus

Talking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points
Default Thoughts on Ratholing/Shortstacking...

For anyone who doesn't know what I am talking about, this is when you sit down at a NL table with the minimum buy in (say, 20 BBs), and play a very tight strategy, basically looking to shove over the top of normal opens, usually from players who are opening a lot of hands. The idea is to play a tight range of hands and get your money in GOOD preflop as often as possible.

When you double up (or even if you stack grows to 25 or 30 BBs, I'm guessing), you leave the table.

This style pretty much eliminates postflop play and I'm guessing you could play a ton of tables and get in an assload of hands per hour (hello, rakeback) playing a fairly mechanical style.

I remember Wes mentioning at the WSOP a couple of years ago that he was sharing a house with a good shortstacker and that guy made more money playing online cash games than the rest of the house did over the summer.

I've also noticed more people doing this since I last regularly played 6 max cash games a year or so ago, so maybe there is something to it...?

So, what are you thoughts on this? Has anyone had success with it? Do you prefer full ring or 6 max? What kind of numbers are you playing, something like 10/8 preflop? If no one opens in front of you for you to shove over, what do you do when you have a strong hand - just open normally?

Got RakeBack?
27% at Full Tilt | 33% at Cake Poker | 30% at Carbon Poker