View Single Post
Old 12-04-05, 02:52 AM
Adminimus Maximus

Talking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep PointsTalking Poker has between 3000 and 3499 Rep Points

This is very good advice (bonus whoring), but this can be done in addition to some of the other suggestions floating around this thread. Well, except for pshabi's, which was a joke for those who couldn't tell.

When I very first started playing online, I was palying 1/2 cash games, just to see what online poker was all about. I did pretty well with it, but eventually discovered and fell in love with SNGs. I played those almost exclusively for a while - $30 and $50 ones - and did really well with them (at one point, I cashed in 11 in a row). This was fortunate for me, as I was playing well above my bankroll. I hit a bad streak not long after that, but still didn't really care about bankroll management because I knew I could redeposit if I needed to.

I will admit to you though that the bad streak was bad enough at one point, that I made myself take an entire month off from online poker (this was back in 2003). Why? Because I was afraid I MIGHT be addicted, and I wanted to make sure I could stop if I wanted to. After a few days off, I didn't miss it, but I promised myself I wouldn't play for a month, and I didn't. It ended up being 5 or 6 weeks, I think. I came back and played here and there, but I didn't get REALLY serious about poker until bdawg convinced me to give the 5/10 6 max tables a try. I had played them before, but not exclusively, as I always had more fun with the SNGs.

Anyway, one month and $4k later, I was sold. Two month and another $5k after that, and I was hooked. This was my game. And that's what I used to build my bankroll.

These days, I enjoy the big MTTs, but I am a much better tourney player now than I used to be. I do still enjoy killing the 6 max games from time to time, but I mostly play 10/20 and 15/30 now, with the occasional 30/60 game mixed in when I'm feeling frisky. The swings there are still more than I am comfortable with though, so I don't do it often.

Anyway, hopefully that bit of a success story will inspire you. While I skipped a LOT of levels early on (and was fortunate enough to not get broke), I don't recommend that for most people. Keep in mind, if I busted, I was ok with making another deposit (which is what I did when I'd start to play at a new site). If my entire bankroll was online and I never wanted to deposit another dime, this would be a horrible idea though.

If you never want to lose your bankroll:
1. Make sure you have 300 BBs (big bets) for limit poker.
2. Never sit with more than 5% of your roll in NL or any single SNG or MTT.

Do that, and play fundamentally sound poker, and you won't go broke.

Got RakeBack?
27% at Full Tilt | 33% at Cake Poker | 30% at Carbon Poker