View Single Post
Old 07-20-08, 09:52 AM
cha'DIch of the Poker Gods

Kurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep PointsKurn User has between 2000 and 2499 Rep Points

To add to what Windbreaker says, ICM was developed the end result a research paper (may have been an advanced degree thesis, but I'm not sure) at The University of Southern California.

A simple training program for ICM can be downloaded through

SNGs are unique in that you will be at or near the bubble much more often than in MTTs, and that you and your opponents will rarely have sufficient chips for multi-street play.

With blinds high vs stack sizes, ICM takes into account the importance of fold equity in calculating the overall equity of your hand hot and cold. To use ICM well, you need to be pretty accurate in determing your opponents' push/call ranges.

Real ICM wonks can qoute you EV numbers for given ranges vs estimated opponents' ranges. I can't do that. What I do understand is the logic, for example, fold equity varies based on relative stack sizes, so the same opponent will call a shove with a much wider range than you'd expect if his stack is much larger/much smaller than yours.

My favorite counter-intuitive example is the bvb situation where the SB shoves any two cards. When the blinds are high, this move is always +CEV because the BB will fold x% of hands. The BB can never adopt a strategy that will make the move -CEV, the best he can do is reduce the CEV to 0 by calling with any two cards..

Old Norse adage