The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PP Bad beat tables (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=853)

Defendant 12-19-04 05:04 AM

PP Bad beat tables

OMG you guys were right, I cannot believe how juicy those games are...wow. The times ive seen people show down 95s in hopes of hitting runner runner straight flush is just...wow...

Defendant

PShabi 12-19-04 11:14 AM

What limits are you hitting?

jdiana86 12-19-04 11:23 AM

Yea it seems like the increased rake brings bigger suckers in

ChipFish 12-19-04 11:48 AM

Any limit is fine.
They are all nuts....

Make sure you are prepared to get sucked out on though.

Windbreaker 12-19-04 02:41 PM

Ya, I must admit I was one of the few people that tried to chase down a SF. Mine was justified though....had 78d and it flopped 56dQ, the turn was a Q....and I was hoping this other player had QQ. I ended up losing the hand to the guy holidng 56. Can't blame me, had so many outs and a chance for a jackpot.

junYUN 12-19-04 02:56 PM

how exactly do these tables work? you have to come from behind in a hand or what?

Defendant 12-19-04 02:58 PM

Jackpot is almost impossible to hit. One hand has to be quads or better...and has to lose the pot.

Defendant

Windbreaker 12-19-04 03:00 PM

On party poker, you don't have to come behind for it to be a bad beat jackpot. Basically, one person has to beat with at least quad 8's or better in their hand...and both players must use both hold cards when they lose.

Gutzz 12-19-04 03:02 PM

lol I know!

I had been playing just on PS for months and months, hearing how soft PP is... I figured 'how is it possible that that site could be any softer than PS?'... It didn't make sense to me, so I was very skeptical.

Then after 2 sessions... The thought of playing on PP makes me salivate :D .

Cheers,

Gutzz

junYUN 12-19-04 03:02 PM

seems tough to win a jackpot...

Defendant 12-19-04 03:21 PM

Dont play for the jackpot.

Make your money off the idiots trying to win it.

Defendant

ChipFish 12-19-04 03:45 PM

This is exactly the type of thinking that makes this game so profitable....
Play a solid game as if the jackpot is not there.
If you are just sitting at the table you get a cut.
Don't chase looking for the big-one.... Chances are very good, you won't get it.

Talking Poker 12-19-04 04:03 PM

Exactly... the additional 50 cents in rake adds up (that's 5 cents per hand), but I think the softness of the games makes up for it...

With that said, I'll chase an open ended straight flush (for one more bet) against a paired board any day.

Windbreaker 12-19-04 04:04 PM

I had 15 outs after the flop - that's a better a 50% chance of winning the hand. Then after the turn (even though I didn't know it) I ended up with even more outs. 9 for flush, 6 for straight, and and now 6 more either a 7 or 8 for a higher two pair. So I don't think you can fault my play. Even if he had an Queen, it was highly unlikely he would have a full house with that board.

ChipFish 12-19-04 04:05 PM

And I'll be there to collect when you miss. :p

And hey, if you do hit, Good for you.
I'll take my paltry couple of grand for just sitting at the table :D

johnbaker 12-19-04 06:47 PM

lol the funny thing is, pot odds make this the correct call. the jackpot is giving you like 50k if u win, and ur investing a 10$ bet to win $50000. so in order to be able to fold your runner runner straight flush draw here, the bet would have to be at least $50 (since you are only a small 1:1000 dog). hahahahah wowwww pot odds are great arent they

ChipFish 12-19-04 06:55 PM

You are assumint that the other player also will have a quad 8 hand or better.
I believe this changes your calculation greatly, no?

2Tone 12-19-04 07:54 PM

Essential

I agree these games can be worth it, but it absolutely vital to understand that you aren't going to win the jackpot. Quad 8s or better are going to get beat so ridiculously infrequently that Party can give away about 50k every time it happens. That extra 50 cents adds up if you are a regular at the tables, and you have to take your profit from those whp are chasing the crazy odds that it might.

Talking Poker 12-19-04 09:25 PM

I agree with your play, but don't say you were chasing the straight flush (2 outs) thinking he had quads and then say you had 15+ outs and didn't think he had a full boat. One of the other, buddy ;)

I know, I know - you said "hoping."

Talking Poker 12-19-04 09:30 PM

One of us read his post wrong. I read it to mean he had an open ended straight flush draw. You read it to mean only the 6 was a diamond. Huge difference here... If he was chasing perfect perfect (and I now think that he was), then bad play.

Poker Bookshelf 12-20-04 05:27 AM

Jackpot Calculator

If you would like to know the payouts, there is a

drewjax 12-20-04 05:46 AM

Is all this the exact same at Empire as it is at Party?? Is the rake really inflated on those tables?

Talking Poker 12-20-04 12:37 PM

This is a Bad Beat Jackpot. does not have one.

And yes, the inflated rake is what builds the Jackpot.

The details:

Windbreaker 12-20-04 01:57 PM

I don't like how Party takes a 10% cut out of the jackpot...seems a bit steep. But we're all big suckers for a huge jackpot ><.

johnbaker 12-20-04 11:48 PM

i love how you peopel take me seriuosly when i say things like 'pot odds say call to hit a runner runner straight flush'... obviusly this is a terrible play, you wouldnt even break even in 10/20 in the long run if you used this strategy...because even when you hit your straight flush once in every 1000 times, you arent going to break four 8's or better until you play at least 100k hands following this strategy... so basically u would donate ur life away. take me seriously though and point out the flaws in my 'theory', maybe youll get through to me and actually convince me to fold my runner straightflush draws

-jB