The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Poker Discussion (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Leaving Under the Gun (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420)

Penguinfan 11-17-04 01:27 PM

Leaving Under the Gun

Out of curiosity, is it commonly considered bad manners to leave the game just before the big blind gets to you? I can't say I pay alot of attention to this because I generally leave an on-line table when I get too tired to pay attention or the kids need something, or whatever, but I was watching the chatbox as some guy was all pissed off about a player leaving before posting the next round of blinds and 2 other players typed in agreement with him. I thought about it and kinda feel like when I sit down I post a blind or I wait till the big blind gets to me then I post, but I post before ever seeing any cards so I have paid for the next 8 hands after posting the BB and SB in my opinion, so if I want to see those 8 hands I have payed for then I should be able to and then leave if I want. Am I way off here, is there some sort of protocol I don't know about?

eddo31 11-17-04 02:01 PM

when i decide to leave a table, i always leave under the gun. i paid my blinds for the round, so i am going to play every free hand that i get.

i am not sure if this is bad manners or not, but to be honest i could care less. i generally also wait for the big blind to come around to me before i enter play as well. sometimes i will post if i am one off the button, but in general i will wait and observe.

badblood44 11-17-04 02:07 PM

I do it all the time too. I've never heard of it being bad manners.

From my perspective, paying the blinds entitles me to a full orbit. Why pay more for less?

Penguinfan 11-17-04 02:08 PM

I normally wait to post as well, simply to observe, the maniacs usually show themselves quickly.

GeoffM 11-17-04 02:30 PM

Ya, I'm always gone right before I hit the big blind. I play on UB so I stick around for the points until it hits me or until I hit a big hand, but I usually play ultra tight when I am getting ready to make an exit.

Tilter 11-17-04 03:52 PM

Why pay the big blind? I would just leave on UTG, its more cost saving. And its not bad manners, its more smart play.

BlibbityBlabbity 11-17-04 05:38 PM

They obviously don't understand, did they wait around to pay the BB again before THEY left??? Think not. ;)

junYUN 11-17-04 05:45 PM

this is exactly how i enter and leave every cash game i sit at. i dont see a problem at all with leaving before the BB gets to you.

Penguinfan 11-17-04 06:10 PM

OK, thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking some sort of etiquette or unwritten rule.

johnbaker 11-17-04 07:36 PM

was the complainer down a lot or something? i dont care if people do this, and i do it myself.

Talking Poker 11-17-04 08:10 PM

I always wait for the BB to post, and I always leave UTG. I think anything else is not poor manners, but rather poor play.

Chutups 11-17-04 08:45 PM

I also leave UTG, I always thought paying the big blind entitles me to a full orbit.

Kidd7138 11-17-04 08:53 PM

I don't really see why anyone would have a problem with this. And my personal opinion is I don't really care if some people think its bad manners, if it saves you money I say go right ahead and do it.

Aequitas58 11-17-04 11:18 PM

Wait ... you guys don't POST then leave???

Yea - I'm in agreement with everyone else here. I when I'm ready to leave, I'll wait till my UTG hand has been folded, and I'll go.

drewjax 11-19-04 03:06 AM

I also try to get in in the cutoff, and leave utg. Would be stupid not to leave utg. you never know when the rockets will hit.

SoCalBoss 11-19-04 06:00 PM

I'll usually pay the blind then leave...sometimes pay for the next person too (you know, like at a toll booth). OK, maybe not.

This is funny - I didn't think anyone left until they were UTG or tapped...

SirFWALGMan 11-19-04 06:28 PM

Not Bad

I have never seen anyone leave after the Blinds, unless they were getting crushed and were forced to leave. heh. If I want to get a hand or two in I will unclick the auto-post and wait for the blinds to come by. Or else I just leave whenever I feel like it.

bigjohnstud2o 11-21-04 05:47 AM

always

I expect all players to leave at that point. I would say maybe its just me but it is obvious it is not. Like it has been said all throughout this post. You paid for your round of cards so you never know when that AA will come.