The TalkingPoker.com Forum

The TalkingPoker.com Forum (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/index.php)
-   Arcade (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Introducing... The Talking Poker ARCADE! (http://www.talkingpoker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11328)

Talking Poker 06-28-07 12:20 AM

Introducing... The Talking Poker ARCADE!

Bored? Running badly? Tilting? Spend some time in the !

Just click on in the main menu bar. We currently have the following nine games to choose from:

Asteroids
Space Invaders
Pacman
Tetris
Snake
Simon
Hexxagon
Breakout
Moon Lander

Wooohooo! Anyone with at least 5 posts can play and people with over 1000 posts have the ability to create tournaments.

I have yet to play a game yet, so please post here if you find any bugs in the arcade. Once I confirm things are running smoothly, I'd be happy to take requests for new games, etc... We now literally have the ability to host hundreds and possibly even thousands of games!

Talking Poker 06-28-07 12:28 AM

Oh, an BTW - I will gladly school ANY of you in Tetris. I just played a game of Asteroids (ahhh, memories) and it looks like everything works - the high scores updated properly and so on.

I'm going to keep playing around for a bit, but I'll let you guys go ahead and play Tetris first. Give me something to shoot for, cause once I play, you won't be seeing your names on the Tetris High Score list ever again.

:cheers:

Talking Poker 06-28-07 01:38 AM

OK, so Space Invaders kind of sucks.

In the Atari 2600 days, I remember it eventually getting impossibly hard. Well, this version seems to stall out at some point, so after playing what I think was the same level 50ish times and still being able to kill all the aliens before a single one hit the right side of the screen, I got my score to an even 200,000 and then started killing myself. I had so many lives, this actually took a while, but finally finished myself off.

My hands hurt. No more Space Invaders for me!

juiCe[3x] 06-28-07 02:43 AM

I used to play Pac-Man all the time so I should put up a good fight on that leaderboard atleast =)

Ando05 06-28-07 04:19 AM

could we make sidebets on games or like bonuses to highscores it'll be kinda fun like dat

Zybomb 06-28-07 01:58 PM

Awesome addition!

Talking Poker 06-28-07 02:29 PM

At first, I thought the high score icons in our post headers were annoying and I was going to remove them, but I kind of like them now. They default to a scrolling marquee that says "Asteroids Champion" (for example), but I changed it to show only the icon for the game, which I think is cool.

Seems the arcade is running fairly smoothly so far.

bunny 06-28-07 03:08 PM

Besides the famous, "Pacman" my 2nd favorite was "Donkey Kong" & I was rather good at "Tetris"!

Nice addition... :thumbsup:

de-coder 06-28-07 04:14 PM

I found a bug... I was playing pacman on a pc (not my normal one) and didn't have the "remember me" thing clicked (again, not my normal pc). I scored pretty good, but when the game was over it spewed sql errors - I believe my session timed out during the game and it couldn't update the score correctly.

I'll play again when I get home..

Talking Poker 06-28-07 04:34 PM

I set the high score for Tetris the first time I played, but it didn't update. I think it was because I didn't click "OK" though - I didn't get an SQL error.

I don't think your "bug" can be fixed either... that's probably just how it works. I dunno.

BTW - someone beat my Tetris score, please. I need something to shoot for.

stormswa 06-28-07 05:40 PM

nice addition.

Zybomb 06-28-07 07:34 PM

I like how u get a PM when someone beats your high score at a game (TP beat my breakout one earlier)

Edit: :eek::eek::eek: and I guess leftwing got him back--- BY TRIPLE HIS SCORE?!?!??!

bunny 06-28-07 07:48 PM

Did you know that if you click on anyone's "game icon", it brings you directly to that game. :cool:

left68wing 06-28-07 08:07 PM

ha, i could have kept going, but i got bored.

Robbr25 06-28-07 08:08 PM

Great new addition !!

Talking Poker 06-28-07 11:08 PM

Yes. Yes, I did. :cool:

bunny 06-28-07 11:34 PM

Seems that the phrase I used in one game, keeps coming up in the others. In my 18k high score for tetris, I didn't add any phrase, but yet it picked up an old one from another game or maybe this one.

Talking Poker 06-28-07 11:42 PM

:confused:

I don't even see you on the Tetris Top 10...?

Oh, come on people - does no one even have HALF of my Tetris score yet??? And I wasn't even playing well!

bunny 06-29-07 08:44 AM

Click on 2nd page...

2 Attachment(s)
I'm 14th! (18k)

I never typed any phrase in the blank space provided. :confused:

I'm a little rusty, haven't played this in a long time and never on a computer using keys. (I prefer the joystick) In some games, such as Pacman, a joystick is much better than computer keys.

Will have one more game of tetris and then I'm off... for a weekend of R & R.

Have a good weekend, everyone.

ps. You definitely must now add a "frustrated" smiley. (for game... stress purposes only) ;)

I prefer the red one (cussing).

Nikita 06-29-07 09:25 AM

I notice that where the games are listed there's an area for game rating, but I don't see anywhere that you can rate the games, is this something to be added later or am I being blind?

GTDawg 06-29-07 11:26 AM

Once I get used to only being able to rotate the blocks one direction and the stupid blocks sticking as soon as they touch instead of being able to move them (like moving them under an overhang)...then I'll be fine.

Talking Poker 06-29-07 01:10 PM

That is a fine question - I don't know. I'll have to look into this.

Talking Poker 06-29-07 01:13 PM

Tell me about it. My problem is that I'd prefer they rotate in the OTHER direction. And they don't stick quite as badly as you are saying (you can get them under the overhangs), but they do seem to stick faster than they should.

It also seems that the fgame is especially cruel - you can build up a perfectly filled in wall all the way to the top without getting a freaking straight piece, but I've also had 4 or 5 of them in the span of 6 shapes before.

Thanks for beating my high score. I'll reclaim it later today.

GTDawg 06-29-07 02:59 PM

Yeah, it's not awful. But it's definitely a faster stick than the trust TI-83+ Tetris calculator game I honed my skills on.

Robbr25 06-29-07 11:21 PM

On the "Your Rankings" page,
on the right it lists your number of "Top Ten Finishes:".
Mine says 5 it should be 7.
When does it refresh its numbers ? If dynamically, it is broken.

Talking Poker 06-30-07 02:07 AM

I have no idea.

I've also noticed that the time played numbers don't seem to be correct on the high scores pages. It seems to log your first time and then not update it again. The "times played" listed in the rankings for each person are also out of whack... those have to be for everyone.

It's not perfect, but the games seems to work (other than the never ending Space Invaders) and that's the important part.

I can literally add almost any game to this. Not sure exactly how yet, but I'll experiment with it some next week.

Talking Poker 07-01-07 07:32 PM

Just for you, kid:

Donkey Kong is the newest addition to the arcade.

:cheers:

Robbie Robb 07-02-07 12:10 AM

Thanks for the addition. I love Donkey Kong! However there does seem to be something not quite right here. It just seems to repeat level 1 over and over AND there's no hammer!

Zybomb 07-02-07 04:22 AM

Contra?!?!?!?!

Robbie Robb 07-02-07 09:39 AM

Okay, COMPLETELY off topic here but anyway: Pretty much everyone knows the Konami Contra code. Apparently the guys over at Digg have a sense of humour - they've put in an easter egg on their website that if you use the keyboard and enter the contra code it will expand the comments so that they're not nested on each page.

Talking Poker 07-02-07 11:19 AM

I'm reading this, and I recognize it as English, but I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Video Game Speak?

Robbie Robb 07-02-07 11:34 AM

Yup. There's a famous cheat code for Contra. I *believe* it was for the original NES version. Well the guy's over at Digg.com hid the code in their comments system so that if you enter it in, it will show all the nested comments in a full expanded tree. I'm pretty sure the code is:
up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, a, b, a, b, start

Talking Poker 07-02-07 01:04 PM

I found it and installed it, but when I tried to test it, it randomly redirects me to some Japanese (?) site... so for now, this one is a no go.

Talking Poker 07-02-07 01:38 PM

Just added two new games:
Frogger and Ms. Pacman (sooooooo much better than Pacman).

Woohoo!

Zybomb 07-02-07 01:39 PM

Come on man! Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A SELECT Start

MAYHEM45 07-02-07 02:29 PM

WTF? theres no select in there. :mad:

Zybomb 07-02-07 03:09 PM

That was the code for the NES version at least

melioris 07-02-07 03:55 PM

damn you TP and your stinking arcade. Just when I thought I was out, you pull me back in.

Dodoubled 07-02-07 04:32 PM

The SELECT button was used if it was a two-player game. Otherwise, the code was up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start.

It wasn't just for Contra, either. It worked with several Konami games, most notably, Lifeforce. And I think a similar code worked for Super C, or whatever the sequel to Contra was.

Talking Poker 07-02-07 04:53 PM

Wooooooohooooooo! Success!

Wait til you guys see all the fun games I've got lined up for us. :) I don't want to overwhelm anyone, so I'll probably only release a couple at a time every so often.

And they aren't all those old school Atari/Nintendo games either. We can also do more recent popular flash games, like the Penguin Baseball one (where the Yetti smacks him as far as he can), the Ping Pong Bouncing one, etc, etc. Hell, I even found a typing test for us to compete on.

P.S. Nice avatar, Zy. FINALLY.

Invigilator 07-02-07 05:44 PM

If you could hunt down 3d pong, I would love it!

It is a 3d square-tube of green lines on black screen. It is wicked!

drewjax 07-02-07 07:45 PM

Can I get a cheap old school joystick, hook it up thru usb, and play the games?

If so, that would rock.

If not.............I SUCK

stormswa 07-02-07 10:53 PM

frogger locked up a couple times for me?

nm I found out why

Robbie Robb 07-02-07 11:12 PM

if you can find a USB joystick then yep, you shouldn't have any problem. You might need to get some type of software that lets you re-map the joystick but that shouldn't be any trouble to find.

Talking Poker 07-03-07 12:45 AM

I just added two of my favorite online games (I like games you can play in under a minute):
Smack the Penguin
Funky Pong

Enjoy!

MAYHEM45 07-03-07 02:31 AM

Fucking penguin is putting me on life tilt. plz to be replacing with kitten cannon.

Talking Poker 07-03-07 02:57 AM

Don't be a hater. Not everyone can smack penguins as far as I can.

Never heard of Kitten Cannon, but there is a "Bloody Penguin." You'd probably like that version better.

JDMcNugent7 07-03-07 05:44 PM

i really want to bet some $ on this somehow

Talking Poker 07-03-07 06:53 PM

$100 says you are not the Tetris champion 24 hours from right now.

My only rule is that you have to play yourself - you can't find some Tetris whiz to play for you.

Hmmmm... come to think of it, this gives me an interesting idea for a little promo type thing. We could set up forum bounties or something like that. Maybe a freeroll for people with high scores - that sort of thing.

I'll think about it some more. But I should add some new games first. :)

Talking Poker 07-03-07 07:22 PM

New Games:

Van Wilder's Beer Pong - Drink up, boys!
Typing Test - I type fast (from my brain), but I suck at this.